Friday, September 18, 2015

History of Pisgah, Union Township, Butler County, Ohio. Pisgah is the highest point in Union Township, Butler County, Ohio, although to be casual observer it seems to be on a general level with the surrounding country. It is the higher than Lebanon and all points around. It was probably named by William Belch, a pioneer of the place, and so called from the old church that stood on this land. The village has but eleven residents, a grocery store, post office, and a blacksmith’s shop. William Belch came here as early as 1812 or 1815. He was a Pennsylvania German, and very energetic. He kept the first hotel of the place many years before he died, after which his son, William Belch kept it fifteen or twenty years longer. William Belch and James Van Hise started a hotel about 1838, and also a store and post office in Pisgah. IT was subsequently kept by David Conover and James Middleton, and now by S.M. Sprinkle. The two Van Hise also kept the first store. They carried on the business a number of years, and were the last to keep the hotel. A still house was erected in an early day by James Irwin on the farm now owned by James Irwin, his grandson. Mr. James Irwin came to Ohio before 1800, and settled first in Warren County, Ohio and after a few years came to Pisgah and settled on 360 acres of choice lands. He started the first tan-yard. He was the grandfather of Governor William Irwin of California, about 1850, and for several years edited the leading paper of California. He was afterwards sent to the State Legislature, and later elected Governor of California. He has since that time been conspicuous in the management of California state affairs, and is known as a representative citizens of the country. The people of Pisgah, in an early time, attended Church at Muddy Creek. This was a Baptist society just outside the Butler County, Ohio. Subsequently the Presbyterians erected a church building on the Belch property. This house stood on the old Quakertown Road, near the Pisgah village, and on the same lot upon which the school house stood. the two buildings were within the fencing. The school house was made of round logs and the church of hewed logs. After a few years the Church people built a brick house, and the school was moved into the old church building. This was on James Irwin’s place, and in 1835 or 1836 the district built the new brick school house, on the identical spot on which stood the old log-house, and it remains, in a repaired condition, still stand, but the house is owned as private property. The district purchased land in 1862, when and where the present structure was erected. The church served its purpose for a long period of time, but for many years it has gone into disuse, save for an occasional service. The property was finally sold, and the organization has lot its identity.

Technorati Tags: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
James Irwin settles Pisgah, Union Twp, Butler Co, Ohio 1800

No comments:

Post a Comment